Share This Article
A 6,000-square-foot house seems reasonable, but do you mind having even more space? It may make sense to look at 7,000 square feet of living space. Absolute comfort, abundant opportunities, and rich architectural and interior options have always attracted people who dream not just of convenience – but of a prosperous and happy life with their loved ones. Want to find out what 7,000 square feet can give you in this way? Let’s go!
7000 Square Foot House Features
The 7,000-square-foot houses are suitable for large families or upper-middle-class households. The layout is always developed individually for each house, the taste and need of each owner, and their family members.
It has an extensive set of rooms for relaxation and spaces for indoor or outdoor activities, as well as hobbies and work. Many bedrooms for the owners, guest rooms, playrooms, and children create the very feeling of absolute comfort, which is indispensable for any respectable house. This footage also fits a fireplace, a library, an exercise room, and a home office or winery. These plans usually have a basement floor with recreation and utility rooms and sometimes a workshop. As for the garage bays, two 2-car or a 4-car area are typical for this footage.
The house in this footage is perfect for a family of four to seven. A separate room can be arranged for each member. In terms of structure, there will be enough space for a sprawling living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a home office, and other premises, depending on your needs and wishes.
Variety of Architecture
Architects use different styles to design 7,000-square-foot single-family homes. Besides elegant classic houses, they offer plans of minimalist and contemporary buildings, beautiful country houses, luxury Mediterranean cottages with ornate facades, and so on.
Two-or Three-Story Layout
When working on the 7,000 square feet house plans, the two- or three-story layout is used the most often. The upper floors are full of an attic, and sleeping areas and small recreation rooms are placed there. Common areas are usually on the main and basement floors, including family rooms, kitchens, dining, entertainment facilities, and utility rooms.
How Big Is A 7000 Square Foot House?
We will not say enough if 7,000 square feet is large. Yes, these houses offer impressive spaces, but that is not all. Many architects and homeowners tend to call such houses mansions. Well, they may be right!
If you remember, we have already talked about the key features of mansions and named the sizes that let you consider them that way. Just in case, we recall that some experts adhere to old traditions and are sure that a mansion cannot be less than 8,000 square feet. At the same time, lowering the bar by 5,000 square feet is possible. Obviously, 7,000 square feet is much closer to the traditional minimum. Well, you can be proud to live in a mansion!
However, more than one area is needed to obtain the respectable status of the mansion is quite true. Premium amenities, lavish landscaping, exquisite and trendy exterior, and high-class materials are the key features of this type of real estate. Well, a house of 7,000 square feet may meet all these requirements.
On the other hand, you may reject any success rate chase and look for a spacious, cozy, and comfortable home with no charms and all these knickknacks for your big, friendly family. Well, such footage will provide you with what you want. Then, it’s up to you how you call it!
7000 Square Foot House Plans
Large size often implies uniqueness, and 7,000 square feet house is just the case. It is almost impossible to meet two identical houses of this type, and each project suggests many unique details and architectural techniques. We could describe them endlessly, but offer only a few trend projects, so as not to tire you, but to give you the idea of what you can get.
7000 Sq Ft 2-Story Modern House with 5 Bedrooms, 4.5 Bathrooms, and a Sumptuous Weather Deck
Source: DFD House Plans
The opportunity to build a place for outdoor recreation attracts many homeowners. Modern is the style that lets the designers make a porch or a patio a functional element, fully integrated into the overall picture. And you can see it in this magnificent house with a balcony and a spacious weather deck.
The composition of this house comprises cubes and parallelepipeds. The extended building is crowned by a flat concrete roof. The rhythmic pattern of the facade volumes is accentuated by the contrast of color and finish; the smooth, light beige stucco is combined with black window frames and handrails and ceiling covering under dark brown wood on the visors of the roof and balcony.
Extensive glazing, transparent balcony fences, double light, and sliding doors saturate the rooms with natural light, and the interior space is freely connected to the outside world. However, the layout is the most striking feature, as it implies four grand bathrooms, walk-in closets, and a luxurious main bedroom with a smooth transition into a private bathroom with vaulted ceilings. An insulated dining room overlooking the weather deck, a winery, and a four-car garage are competing for the highlight of this house plan.
The balcony is also the porch covering, where you can arrange an open dining area and a solarium. And if you get tired of enjoying the sun (or the weather is entirely spoiled), you can go down to the basement floor, where there are a workshop and a small recreation room with a private bathroom.
7000 Sq Ft 3-Story Chalet House with 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, and an Amazing Bay Window
Source: Architectural Designs
This great plan offers an amazing version of a chalet in a more monumental and spacious performance. The outdoor terrace, an indoor balcony, and a multi-level roof are in absolute balance, with a chic bay window two floors high. Wood, planks, shingles, and stone provide comfort and naturalness, which is equally essential for both a vacation house and a residential home.
The sprawling double-height living room with its bay window occupies most of the main floor. However, there is enough space for an isolated dining room, kitchen, home office, library, or memorabilia. The two-car garage in the outbuilding disturbs neither the harmony of the exterior nor inner comfort.
The upper floor, with the main bedroom, where there is a private bathroom and his and her walk-in closets, also provides premises for a gym, a game room, or other relaxation areas. As for the basement, two bedrooms with a small living room and a workshop next to the garage will appeal to those passionate about vehicles or not against absolute privacy.
7000 Sq Ft 2-Story European House with 5 Bedrooms, 6 Bathrooms, and Multiple Entertainment Opportunities
Admirers of European architecture will be delighted by the exterior of this mysterious and well-balanced house. The designer has surpassed himself, having embodied the key traditions of style and providing individuality. The house’s wings conceal two garages, the central entrance with an incredibly high arched door and luxurious glazing shows the owners’ excellent taste, and the brown brick and dark gray roof promise a warm welcome.
The layout of the first floor provides comfort and pleasure when gathering with family and friends in the great room, the breakfast area, and the game room or alone in the home office with a private shower. The open-floor kitchen, the butler, and the utility room will appeal to thoughtful owners.
The upper floor is devoted to rest, and spacious bedrooms and a balcony, offering a magnificent view of the site, provide all this. The main suite will amaze you with its spacious walk-in closet and splendid bathroom, but the separate bar and the private exercise room are the true highlights. Well, it’s time to get used to luxury!
7000 Sq Ft 2-Story Colonial House with 5 Bedrooms, 2 Garages, and 2 Libraries
Source: The Plan Collection
An elegant and aristocratic colonial house is an extended construction with two symmetrical wings. The designer balanced all the constructive elements to create a holistic and stylistically complete architectural solution that is ergonomic and comfortable.
When designing the facade of the two-story house, the traditional elements of colonial and classical architecture were used. Columns, fences, and semi-circular porticoes give solemnity and luxury. Exquisite window covers and a complex roof add nobility, and a spacious balcony offers a beautiful view of the surrounding landscape. The mansion’s exterior is designed in light-sand color, ideally in harmony with a white finish.
The interior is worked out carefully as well. Master bedrooms, dining spaces, and the library on the main floor are located in a semicircle. Two parallel staircases leading to the upper floor with four bedrooms, a grand room, an upper library, and a balcony, together with two 2-car garages in both wings, provide the perfect balance.
How Much Does It Cost to Build A 7000 Square Foot House?
If you dare to build a 7,000-square-foot house, it could mean you have a lot of nerve and endless patience! Of course, it’s all a joke, but you should understand that executing a project of this magnitude will require both of them… and, of course, money!
As a rule, the budget becomes the cornerstone of your decision to build a large house, and the choice of this footage depends on many factors. One of them is the area where you plan to live in your new home.
According to Casaplorer, those who prefer the West will have to fork out most of all, as the average cost of this real estate is $1,120,000 there. The South and Southeast metro areas offer more opportunities, with an average price of $770,000 for a 7,000-square-foot house. The admirers of the golden middle may choose the northeast, where $800,000-$900,000 of the budget is enough. The exact disposition for most of the states is in the table below.
|State||Cost to Build a House|
|New Jersey||from $1,382,000|
|New York||from $1,350,000|
|North Carolina||from $671,000|
|North Dakota||from $916,000|
|South Carolina||from $689,000|
|South Dakota||from $790,000|
Building a 7,000-square-foot house is a very complex and multi-stage task. That’s why it’s important to sort things out now. This will help you both in planning your budget and creating your dream house project. Well, let’s get to the details.
- Land ($20,000-$30,000). A narrow or small plot for a large house is entirely unsuitable. First, you need space for the construction itself according to the plan. Second, you may want a landscape design to match your magnificent home. So, choose a site you like, and do not save where it is unnecessary and dangerous.
- Site Works ($8,000-$10,000). The cost of land preparation depends on the availability of permits and the ground condition. Some lucky people manage to buy a thoroughly prepared and legal plot. However, if you are so enchanted by the location that you spend on a new piece of land, paperwork, excavating, uprooting, leveling, and all these things will be a higher cost.
- Floor Plan (up to $7,000). Big spaces are significant opportunities, and architects know that better than anybody else. On the one hand, you can arrange any premises in your future house. On the other hand, all this requires harmonious and rational planning. The list of tasks for the designer is extensive here, so the plans for large houses can be expensive.
- Foundations ($20,000-$30,000). For 7,000 square feet, houses are usually fitted with a slab foundation or a basement. Both are strong and durable, but only the second allows you to create an extra floor. Of course, it will cost more, but the game is worth the candle.
- Framing ($80,000-$120,000). It is the architectural style that determines your expenses here. However, do not think a concise modern house will cost much less than a classical one! The innovative materials and the latest glazing and finishing technologies will require investment if you want a fantastic result.
- Exterior ($120,000-$160,000). Roofing, wall coverings, windows, and door decoration are integral parts of what we call a perfect big house. Of course, more than half a measure is needed, so plan your budget carefully and do not go into cheapness.
- System Installation ($120,000-$140,000). A large house requires complex and multi-level utility systems. The electricity, plumbing, and HVAC remain the essential aspects, but their installation will require a lot of money here as well. Besides, you may want an intelligent home system, video surveillance, or something like that, which will also increase the burden on your budget. However, architects call for a balance between what is needed and desired; do not spare the resources for basic systems, but think carefully if you need something extra.
- Interior. We don’t set spending here because there are as many options as people can afford a 7,000-square-foot house. You may want polished marble, parquet, and stucco or prefer granite countertops, glass panels, and complex lighting scenarios. Of course, all these are just examples, but tastes and wishes differ significantly. Consult with the designer, tell him about your dreams, and be sure to put all the interior details of your future home in the estimate.
- Outdoor amenities and landscaping. Do you have a large plot without using it to the full? Of course, it’s nonsense! All these are the essential components of a well-kept and well-maintained house where you will be comfortable and happy. The landscaping costs and the surrounding area depend on what you want to see there, including a patio, covered lanais, pools, gazebos, flower beds, and so on.
How Much Does It Cost to Buy A 7000 Square Foot House?
Buying a house of 7,000 square feet is an exciting event. You will get a lot of impressions as you browse and choose the better variants. As for the prices, we offer you an average for some states to give you an idea of your possible purchase:
- New Hampshire – $1,150,000-$1,550,000
- Connecticut – $950,000-$1,040,000
- Arkansas – $725,000-$1,050,000
- Colorado – $800,000-$1,480,000
- Utah – $1,210,000-$1,300,000
- South Carolina – $980,000-$1,220,000
- California – $1,325,000-$1,650,000
- Florida – $1,420,000-$2,100,000
- New York – $920,000-$1,450,000
- Minnesota – $1,050,000-$1,600,000
- Washington – $1,250,000-$1,650,000
This price range implies attractive and comfortable houses built recently and is fully livable for a large family. Of course, if you’re looking for more luxurious options, you can go higher, especially when it comes to mansions in California. The search range depends on your wallet and your own needs entirely!
Consider a 7,000-square-foot house as a mansion or just a sprawling home that promises all the conveniences and opportunities for a comfortable and varied life for you and your loved ones. Many architects insist that this footage is the most rational for large residential buildings. We fully agree with them because it is here that most wishes come true without outrageous things!