Share This Article
The facade of a house can tell about its residents even more than they want to tell about themselves. Its exterior reveals your vision of the world, some habits and preferences, and even individual character traits. This happens because we choose its look based on our taste and perception, which applies to every detail, including materials, architecture, decoration, and, of course, color.
Indeed, it is the color we first notice when we look at any house. It displays everything you want to say about your home and your expectations of it. Whether you consider it as a cozy and hospitable haven, an impregnable fortress where you are completely safe, or a luxurious sign of your status and well-being, the color will help you achieve your goal.
Do not think that this is only the fashion for interior colors that exist today. The trends of exterior painting for houses and cottages remain an essential part of modern design and architecture, which is why keeping up with them is so important. So, we tell you about the features of choosing a color for your house and highlighting exterior shades, which will become popular in 2023.
Choosing an Exterior Color for Your House in 2023 – Some Words about Trends
Exterior paint is capable of much more than just identifying the color of the walls, the door, or the roofing. A properly selected shade can play many roles. It all depends on your idea, as well as the condition and architecture of the building itself. Let’s find out what trends the color choice for the house exterior will be based on next year.
More Color and Vibrancy
Today, designers suggest putting neutral and calm but so ubiquitous colors aside and trying something vivid for the trendy look of your house or cottage. Indeed, this does not mean we will forget about the good old neutrals completely; there is no escaping from them. However, why not make your home look more cheerful and expressive?
Do not be alarmed; the trend does not imply striking colors that set your teeth on edge. However, do not ignore richer and deeper shades to make sure that your house can look completely new.
The Perfect Match of Color and Textures
In 2023, you are to pay the highest attention to the balance of color and material. The right shade and texture choice will make your home’s architecture perfect without extra effort. If you have chosen everything correctly, the exterior will amaze you and your neighbors with proportionality and volumetric perception.
So, designers advise focusing on bright and contrasting colors if cold textures prevail in the decoration – here, we mean concrete, stone, or slate. However, warmer wood, limestone, and ceramic tiles require richer and deeper shades from the walls of your home.
If you have found some defects on your house’s facade and still have no opportunity to efface them right now, a properly selected color will be a great distraction. According to the psychology of color, an expressive shade draws attention away from any flaws and remains in focus. Of course, this trick can hardly be an absolute alternative for perfectionists, but it will help to take a serious break for a full-fledged facade repair.
Highlighting the Details
Color accents in the house exterior – won’t it be superfluous? In 2023, designers are determined and respond unequivocally; this is the most must-have. Use rich and contrasting shades to draw attention to an architectural element that you are proud of, whether they are exclusive frames or platbands, decorative beams, or elegant balconies.
Two or more colors for the house exterior have become one of the revolutionary trends of the coming year. This may sound too bold, but the result will stun you, and neighbors, and passers-by, if you do everything right. Choosing several shades for the walls, act wisely; the color wheel and consultations with the designer will come in handy.
6 Most Popular Exterior Colors to make Your Home Classy and Eye-Catching
So, it’s time to move on to the main course and talk about the trendy colors of the house’s exterior in 2023. Some may seem surprisingly extravagant, but you will be involved when you study the photos of cottages colored in any paint of this relevant color scheme. Well, it’s time to get started!
A Palette of Beiges
We would prefer to pay tribute to the same neutral shades before going on a journey with the unusual and iconic exterior colors of 2023. Indeed, it is impossible not to recall the superiority of beige shades, which are still considered one of the most welcoming. Versatility remains another benefit of this palette, as it matches any size and style of building.
Designers recommend paying attention to the taupe shade with the abundance of gray and brownish tones, as it looks elegant and, at the same time, relatively light. It is also proposed to complement the beige exterior walls with dark brown or charcoal-gray roofing for a more appealing look.
Completely white exterior walls for the house? Well, it sounds rather bold but looks really marvelous. The trend towards minimalism and clean lines still persists, meaning that white has every chance to hold its position in color trends for years.
If you think white will look too sterile and dull, do not forget that it gives considerable room for maneuver. So, the classic facade will look magnificent in a warm white shade, while a modern house with its precise geometry and laconic lines will be in its place with a cold and bright white. Besides, this background allows you to experiment with the frames, doors, and roofing colors, so you will not be bored anyway!
The color that is teetering between gray and black looks noble and sleek. Someone may think that this is a very gloomy challenge, but taking a closer look at the complex and refined shade, you will feel the full power of its magnetism. Perhaps this is due to the confident presence of blue tones, or maybe, we have become so tired of light and neutral-neutral facades that charcoal grey really gives our eyes a relaxation?
Do not rush to choose a light or contrasting roof or decoration for a house with charcoal walls. It is friendly to dark complementary tones, thanks to which it looks refined.
The color, where gray and blue tones are in perfect harmony, also demonstrates stunning appeal. Its fluidity, depending on the lighting, and refined and luxurious depth, allowed it to take a confident position in the list of trending colors for 2023.
Use gray-blue for classic, rustic, and modern homes. Combine it with stone, slate, brick, and wood. Choose black, white, or variegated decorations to complement the house’s look. Anyway, this complex and delightful shade will give you another reason to be proud of your own home.
Oh, that sage! So calm and soothing, vivifying and a bit neutral, designers’ imagination has been exciting for several seasons in a row. In 2023, they are still not ready to let this color go; therefore, you can be sure to point to it when updating your house’s facade, whether it is an elegant classic mansion or a cozy country cottage.
There may be several reasons for such a love of sage green. Firstly, its silver-gray undertones cause a feeling of coolness even on a hot day. Secondly, it has a fantastic ability to highlight the lines and architectural details of the building. And thirdly, hardly anyone can resist its sophistication. We think these reasons are pretty enough to fall in love with it!
Deep and lively red is one of the absolute favorites in the palette of trendy exterior colors of 2023. Do not be afraid that your house will look defiant; the designer suggests paying attention to warm and rather dark red shades that convey optimism, elegance, and hospitality.
The choice of red color for brick or stone house walls will give the building vintage and unique look. However, you can choose this shade for a wooden cottage, which will turn into a house from a fairy tale. When deciding on the tone, focus on the size and architecture of the house; the larger and more complex it is, the calmer and more balanced the red should be.
As for the decoration and the roof, when choosing this color for the exterior walls, you can follow one of two ways and prefer a bright white framing for a more festive impression or something dark (preferably brown) for a pastoral look. The roof can be traditionally gray, white, or brown, but nothing prevents you from choosing a more contrasting color, as the trends of 2023 are far from limiting you.
Facade Colors 2023: What Trendsetters Offer
Well-known manufacturers and color institutes have already presented their forecasts and palettes for 2023 and paid enough attention to the exterior colors. Suppose you need clear guidelines when choosing a color scheme. In that case, we will be glad to present solutions from the most influential figures in the fascinating interior and exterior painting world.
The designers of the well-known American brand were entirely predictable in their loyalty to more neutral, down-to-earth colors for the facade. The new Colormix 2023 palette is dominated by these shades, with inclusions of more expressive and complex tones. If you also tend to be calm, consider the following options:
- Threshold Taupe (SW 7501) – warm and deep gray-brown color, earthy and light enough;
- Silvermist (SW 7621) – a charming gray-blue shade for an elegant and slightly mysterious exterior of your home;
- Shiitake (SW 9173) – light and friendly beige with the hidden presence of gray;
- Lei Flower (SW 6613) – unexpectedly rich and warm red, awakening joy and love of life;
- Kale Green (SW 6460) – a natural and deep green that is cheerful and returning to nature.
The manufacturer offers to choose a façade color from its Decide Like a Designer collection. The palette contains 30 shades, including neutral and accent, so you can find solutions for your house’s walls, doors, and finishes at once. Among the absolute favorites of Behr fans are:
- Natural White (DC-005) – a precious and warm shade of white;
- Tranquil Gray (DC-007) – one of the most trending grays of 2023, light, soothing, and a bit smoky;
- Antique White (23) – a luxurious beige tone that looks perfect on an elegant classic facade;
- Adirondack Blue (N480-5) – a rich gray-blue color for those who are tired of the mundane and want to add sophistication to the exterior of their house;
- Cracked Pepper (PPU18-01) – a stylish black and gray color for the exterior in the coming season.
Panton’s palette for 2023 seems to be a challenge to the calm and restraint neutrals, which still hold their slightly elusive dominance. Its color scheme has become a bold statement declaring a thirst for life, energy, cheerfulness, and friendliness. If you don’t dare to paint the house walls in color recommended by Panton, use it as an accent – for example, for doors or finishing. Just a look at some shades is enough to feel a surge of inspiration:
- Samoa Sun (14-0851) – shining, sunny, and warming yellow;
- Midnight (19-4127) – gorgeous and deep blue, refined and moderately cool;
- Loden Frost (17-0210) – soothing and earthy green with a slight influence of gray;
- Martini Olive (18-0625) – an exquisite gray-green color, suitable for both wall painting and accents;
- Lava Falls (18-1552) – invigorating orange-red, warm and eye-catching.
We have given just a few examples of colors that will help you update the house’s facade in 2023. However, this is quite enough to feel the trend and move the right way when looking for a suitable color scheme.
How to Choose the Facade Color for Your House: Some Final Tips
The variety of exterior paints is stunning today, and therefore the choice may seem almost an unsolvable task. We will give you some tips that will help you decide and make a successful hit:
- Consider the style of your home. Warm, noble, and vintage shades will emphasize the classical architecture. Laid-back and earthy will decorate a cozy country cottage. Catchy or dark extravagant colors will ensure the uniqueness of a laconic modern building.
- Don’t forget about the size. A small house can be enlarged visually if you prefer light and cool tones. A vast and grandiose building will look more solid if you choose a deeper color for the facade.
- Find the color balance for the key points. The walls, roof, and door are the exterior elements of the house, for which the perfect balance of shades is crucial. You can play on contrast or choose variants within the same color, as the paths to harmony may vary. If you feel insecure, consult with the designer.
- Four shades are your maximum. Despite the trend toward multi-coloring, a sense of measure is still essential for the house’s exterior, including walls, doors, window trim, and roofing. Use several colors, but do not overdo it so as not to create visual noise and a sense of disproportion and chaos.
- Choose what you like! Color trends change, and the house stays with you for life. While studying current palettes, choose shades that make your heart beat faster. In this case, you can be sure that the updated facade of your house will not bother you for a very long time.
Choosing the color of the facade for your home is a responsible task, but the trending exterior palettes of 2023 open up a great space for imagination. Try classy shades and combinations, do not be afraid of experiments, and feel free to contact designers if necessary. We are sure that every look at the renewed façade of your house will become a fresh outburst of delight!