Share This Article
The area of a house or apartment is a crucial assessment of its usability (or unsuitability) for our life. That is why we first look at the size of the premises when searching for a place to live. However, some dimensions are complicated to visualize, so you must break your head to understand them.
A square foot is an accepted measure of the area for housing. It is challenging for many of us to determine which piece of space it is, especially if the numbers are impressive, such as 1000. To some people, this number may seem tremendous, but in fact, it is not so much when we talk about premises. So let’s find out what 1,000 square feet of living space is, what we can arrange there, and how to visualize it without special tools at hand.
What Is a Square Foot?
We believe you know the answer to this question, but we dare to remind you again. From the point of view of mathematics, this is a measure of the area, which you can calculate using a simple formula. Multiply the object’s length by its width, and you get the value in square feet. Imagine a square with a side of 1 foot, and you will get a value of 1 square foot since its sides are equal.
Discussing the size of apartments, we append a little more spatial perception to mathematics. It is essential for us to know what we can accommodate in an area of a certain number of square feet. Measuring the room becomes especially important when buying or selling a house or refurbishing it.
To find out the area of a room in square feet, measure its length and width. To do this, you can use a tape measure, a ruler, or even a laser level. Adding up the areas of all the rooms, you will get the size of the house or apartment as a whole.
Is 1000 Square Feet Enough for an Apartment or a House?
The figure of 1000 seems impressive, so many of us imagine a vast living space, perhaps a mansion or estate. We may disappoint you, but it doesn’t work that way with the square feet.
We have already mentioned that schematically, a square foot looks like a square with a side of 1 foot. Now imagine a square with a side of 10 feet. According to the formula, its area is 100 square feet. Sounds impressive as well? However, you understand that this does not correspond to the size of the largest room in the apartment. So what to expect from 1,000 square feet?
We get 92.9 square meters when converting square feet into them (for those who are more used to it). These dimensions correspond to a small house or apartment where you can arrange a kitchen, a living room, a dressing room, one or two bathrooms, and three or four bedrooms of sufficient size. The bedrooms will cover about 700 square feet, and the other rooms will take up the rest of the living space. This is more than enough for a small family with one or two, at least three kids.
How to Visualize 1000 Square Feet?
The lack of measurement tools or a document indicating the room size is not a reason to give up the desire to imagine the premises of 1000 square feet or measure the room to ensure the data is correct. There are alternative methods of visualization and area measurement, which we are going to discuss. We hope they will come in handy for you when the time comes.
Convert It Into Smaller Spaces
Some suggest imagining 1,000 square feet as two two-car garages (400 square feet each), another one-car garage (200 square feet), or as ten small rooms of 100 square feet each. However, this method is suitable if you have developed spatial thinking or you often deal with real estate of this kind.
Use the Tools at Hand
A one-square-foot tile is a perfect way to measure a room. Apply it to the floor along the room’s perimeter sequentially to get the most accurate measurement result. A standard sheet of paper can also be an alternative since its length is 28 cm, which is almost equal to a foot. In short, use any object with the appropriate side length to determine or visualize the dimensions of the space.
The advice is simple and obvious, but it often works. Check the size of the housing where your friends and acquaintances live if you have visited them before. So you can roughly imagine what you can expect if their apartments are more or less than 1,000 square feet. Maybe you will be lucky to meet property owners of just the right size among your fellows.
What Does Real Estate of Other Footage Look Like?
So, we found out how ample the space of 1000 square feet is and how we can dispose of it. Perhaps, you would like to know other popular options. We will tell you about them a little below. This knowledge can be helpful when you are looking for both rent and purchase housing.
- 100 square feet. We have already mentioned that this corresponds to a small bedroom. However, the same space is enough for a spacious dressing room.
- 300 square feet. Some experts suggest imagining this space as the interior of a school bus with the same area. In general, if you live alone and are content with little, you may well arrange this living space with comfort.
- 400 square feet. This footage is already enough to walk around more confidently. Having a house of this size, you can afford a full-size bathroom, a separate kitchen, and a single studio bedroom.
- 500 square feet. It is this footage that is the starting point for comfortable housing. A separate (and not cramped) bedroom and living room, a comfortable bathroom, and a spacious kitchen will allow you to enjoy life alone on 500 square feet.
- 700-800 square feet. Couples or small families can feel free and blissful in the layout of three or four bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, a bathroom, and even a dressing room. Pets will also be in their place here!
- 1100-1200 square feet. A house or apartment of this size will provide physical and psychological well-being for a family of 4-7 people. You can count on a spacious kitchen and a living-dining room, three or four sprawling bedrooms, and a dressing room. Also, nothing will prevent you from arranging a library or workshop instead of one of the bedrooms, if necessary.
- 1300 square feet. The real estate of this footage belongs to the upscale category. Your extended family and guests can feel free and comfortable in this house or apartment.
Everything is relative in our life, and housing of 1000 square feet is no exception. It’s up to you whether it’s much or little. It all depends on your family and lifestyle, but for many, owning such an apartment or house is enough to feel happy.